Tuesday, February 19, 2013

Seek God Everywhere




"I’m participating in the Keeping LOVE in LENT Blog Link-Up 2013, hosted by
Raising (& Teaching) Little SaintsTruly Rich Mom and Arma Dei: Equipping Catholic Families. We'll be sharing different ways, tips, stories and real-life experiences that will help us focus on Lenten sacrifices, prayer and good deeds, and how to carry them out with LOVE instead of a GRUMBLE. Please scroll down to the end of the post to see the list of link-up entries.”



Few souls understand what God would accomplish in them if they were to abandon themselves unreservedly to Him and if they were to allow His grace to mold them accordingly.
St. Ignatius of Loyola


My son brought a book to me called Seek God Everywhere. I read it at a time that I really needed help with faith and spirituality. It is based on the spiritual exercises of St Ignatius. These spiritual exercises are easy to do in about fifteen minutes and are very practical way to grow closer to God. After this book I was drawn to learning more about Ignatian Spirituality.
At Ignatian Spirituality dot com they have an Ignatian Prayer Adventure for Lent 2013 called From Ashes to Glory. It is a way of praying the Examen through Lent in five steps:




1. Become aware of God’s presence.
2. Review the day with gratitude.
3. Pay attention to your emotions.
4. Choose one feature of the day and pray from it.
5. Look toward tomorrow.

Praying the Examen has given me a sense of peace that I have been searching for especially through some very hard times. 
So this Lent I am making it a practice to pray the Examen everyday. I hope to open my heart and mind to God and to find God everywhere.
Soul of Christ, sanctify me.
Body of Christ, save me.
Blood of Christ, inebriate me.
Water from the side of Christ, wash me.
Passion of Christ, strengthen me.
O Good Jesus, hear me.
Within Thy wounds hide me.
Suffer me not to be separated from thee.
From the malignant enemy defend me.
In the hour of my death call me.
And bid me come unto Thee,
That with all Thy saints,
I may praise thee
Forever and ever.
Amen.



Check out the Lent reflections participating in the Keep LOVE in LENT Blog Link-Up 2013! We'll be sharing different ways, tips, stories and real-life experiences that will help us focus on Lenten sacrifices, prayer and good deeds, and how to carry them out with LOVE instead of a GRUMBLE.
Discover new Catholic Blogs to follow!

Building Rocks (pending)

30 comments:

Amy @ This Cross I Embrace said...

I love lists; especially the short and simple ones that keep me on track and not too bogged down.

These are great ways to keep Lent full of love, thank you!

Megan Eccles said...

Beautiful, simple, encouraging. Often it's the little things and a change in attitude that make our days better.

Thank you for sharing!
http://loveletters710.blogspot.com/2013/02/teacups-keeping-love-in-lent.html

Kari said...

My spiritual director has been encouraging me to do a daily examination like this one but I have yet to make it a part of my daily routine. Maybe Lent would be the perfect time to start?!?!?!?

Thanks so much for sharing!

God Bless!

Chad Adams said...

I love the Amina Christi it's one of my favorite prayers! I'm going to check out that link, it sounds like a really good way to take advantage of what Lent is all about. Thanks for sharing it!

+Chad.

Nancy Shuman said...

Thank you for sharing the Examen. I will confess (ouch) that I used to do this but have been forgetting it. This is been just the reminder I needed!

Kendra Tierney said...

Yes, I love this prayer too. It's usually on the back of church missals. I always pray it when I get back to the pew after communion. My kids love it too, it creates quite a mental picture doesn't it?!

noreen said...

Hi Darlene, I pray the Anima Christi too. During daily Mass, we pray it together out loud. Very moving indeed. I only learned I a little over a ear ago from going to daily Mass. Did St. Ignatius of Loyola write it? I took a peek over at your Irish Inspired Jewelry. Pretty, pretty, pretty! I'm Irish and love Celtic jewelry. I did see your Blessed Mother bracelet and think its B.E.A.U.T.I.F.U. May God bless you and may Our Blessed Mother surround you with her love!

MamaRoc said...

Thank you for the great idea. A wonderful addition to our daily prayers!

Monique said...

I love that prayer. It beautiful and reminds us to let God lead us.

Stephanie @ Harrington Harmonies said...

Really love your Esty Shop....folowing on titter now! And your thoughts from the book ( which looks great!) I think it's really necessary for us, well at least me, to reflect on things. My favorite Mary verse from the Bible is how Mary pondered all these things in her heart. Luke 2 he book seems that it great on reflection and mindfulness. Excellent. Thank you.

Jenna@CallHerHappy said...

This is why I love blog hops!

I've never heard of the Examen.

Thank you for introducing me. Time to do some research :)

Nnacy Ward said...

Thank you for a wonderful new idea for Lent in the Examen. It seems easy but a way to dig deep into what God wants to do in our hearts.

Laura said...

I absolutely love St. Ignatius and his spirituality. We've done his silent retreats and they are life changing. Glad your son introduced him to you.

Ginger P. Arboleda (mommyginger.com) said...

I love this "2. Review the day with gratitude". I know of a friend who posts in facebook the things that she is grateful for on a daily basis! :)

Thanks for sharing! ~ ginger

Susan Husband said...

I am currently doing an at home Ignatian Retreat called "Consoling the Heart of Jesus." it is really beautiful. I am going to look into the book your son gave you as well - it sounds like a perfect meditation for mental prayer. Thanks for sharing your insights with us!

Teresa Gumap-as Dumadag said...

Thanks for sharing this. I also like the Ignatian Spirituality. I've been following/using Loyola Press 3 minute retreat since last Lent.

Chris said...

Darlene,
your blog is lovely! The St I quote? ...That's all I need for today; it is perfect. What wisdom you posses in interpreting it as well....
Thank you for the beauty and the inspiration this morning.
God bless

Chris said...

Darlene,
your blog is lovely! The St I quote? ...That's all I need for today; it is perfect. What wisdom you posses in interpreting it as well....
Thank you for the beauty and the inspiration this morning.
God bless

Chris said...

...and BTW, you'd never know it from my last name, but I am 100% Irish....Italian by marriage!
My poor kids are only 1/2 Irish
Love the blog title too.
Happy I can follow you so as not to miss posts.

Hand-Maid With Love said...

Thank you for the recommendation and link to the book. I took 'Peace' as our family motto this year...I will certainly look into this reading. Thank you for sharing!

Chris said...

HI there-
I wanted to tell you that I nominated you for a blogging award...
congrats.
Here is the links for you to check out the details:

http://campfiresandcleats.blogspot.com/2013/02/my-blog-award-my-nominees-and-some-fun.html

Looking fwd to getting to know you thru the blogosphere.

x
Chris

Darlene said...

Thank you to everyone for your comments. I never had so many before. I can't figure out how to respond individually. But I read and appreciate all the comments.

Anabelle Hazard said...

I am an ongoing student of Ignatian spirituality and I love your reflection. That prayer is my favorite. I've been taught to say it after every Communion. I'm going to browse around your blog.

Ultreya Coeur said...

What a wonderful blog you have. I looked into the Examen after reading your post, and have since started praying it. I bought a book on St Ignatius' Spiritual Exercises some time ago, but haven't read it yet. Perhaps Lent is the perfect time. A blessed Lenten season to you and your family!

eyesonheaven.net said...

Great, straightforward plan! St. Ignatius was always right on! Hope you have a wonderful Lent...

wordsonheaven.net said...

God bless! Thank you for sharing your lenten experience and for also sharing the Examen prayer. It's alwyas good to know about new books and prayers to read and pray during lent.

May you have a blessed lenten.

Monica McConkey said...

I love the Anima Christi prayer...and what a great time to start the Examen. So nice that your son introduced you to the book!

loving the semi country life said...

wonderful and simple just what is needed sometimes.

love the prayer and your blog name.

on a side note your jewelry is wonderful!

melanie jean juenau said...

I became a Catholic at a Jesuit College and some of my classes we taught by Jesuit Priests. What a wonderful idea to use Ignatian Spirituality with children

Sarah Hauer said...

I love the simple list, it is attainable to do in a given day. The prayer at the end of your post is beautiful. Thank you so much for sharing!